WKHQ (106 KHQ) Holiday Choir Competition Contest Rules and Info – 2019
1. This contest is open to any school in the 106 KHQ coverage area, defined by the coverage map published by the FCC at radio-locator.com. If you can hear KHQ where you live and work, you can submit!
2. 106 KHQ will give Kindergarten through 12th grade school choirs in the Up North area a chance to claim the title as KHQ’s Holiday ChoirCompetition winner.
DIVISION I: Kindergarten – 8th grade
DIVISION II: 9th – 12th grade
3. PRIZES: Each Division receives the following prizes:
1st Place: $1,000 cash prize & Opportunity to perform alongside the Great Lakes Chamber Orchestra at the Great Lakes Center for the Arts December 20th
— Both division winners perform at the same show, one after the other, before the Chamber Orchestra begins to play
– Each winning choir will be recognized and asked to perform their winning song
4. SUBMISSION INFORMATION: Now through November 29th, 2019 at midnight. School choirs are responsible for submitting their entries. Each entry must include one (1) Holiday song recorded on common audio file such as an .mp3 or .wav and include the lead representative’s name, school, contact information, and details on the choir, including their level. Desired length for song submission is two minutes or less. If a longer song is submitted, WKHQ reserves the right to edit the song length to fit programming needs. The representative submitting the entry is responsible for having received previous written permission from all performers or from a parent or legal guardian if the performer is less than 18 years of age. By submitting an entry, the representative acknowledges that the school has secured applicable licensing for their use of the submitted song.
5. One entry per choir, singing group or performance unit. Realizing that schools may have multiple choirs based on grade level and size, multiple entries may be submitted from an individual school. Submissions will be placed in either Division I (Kindergarten – 8th grade) or Division II (9th grade – 12th grade). Only one choir from an individual school can advance to the finals of the competition, regardless of division submitted. All submissions must include students from the current 2019 – 2020 school year. Each entry must be submitted separately via mail, online at 106KHQ.com, via email, or dropped off at the KHQ studios in either Traverse City, Petoskey, or Cadillac. Entry deadline is November 29th at midnight. Physical and email addresses available on the Holiday Choir page at 106KHQ.com
6. Each entry will be judged for professional sound and performance quality. Choirs will be selected by 106 KHQ judges to participate in the competition’s finals. Importantly, recordings should not be modified or enhanced by any audio or video technology. We just want to hear your choirs how they would sound if performing for an audience!
7. FINALIST INFORMATION: Each choir selected to be in the competition will receive airplay of their entry on 106 KHQ and compete against other choir(s) for votes. Votes will be taken and tabulated online at 106KHQ.com. The choir which receives the most votes during the voting period is announced as the winner.
8. VOTING PROCESS:
December 2nd – December 12th. The number of finalists will depend on the number of submissions. Winners announced live on the 106 KHQ Morning Show Thursday, December 13th.
9. VOTING RULES:
A.) Log on to 106KHQ.com and click on the Holiday Choir link to vote for your favorite school choir. You will be presented with your options and will be able to stream the submissions submitted by each choir.
C.) For both divisions’ finals, the school choir receiving the most eligible votes on 106KHQ.com will win the 1st Place prize of a $1,000 cash prize and the opportunity to perform in front of a sold out crowd at the Great Lakes Center for the Arts.
10. THE GREAT LAKES CHAMBER ORCHESTRA / GREAT LAKES CENTER FOR THE ARTS (details may change)
Performance Date: December 20th
C.) NOTE: If winning school in either division is unable to perform at this event, it will not disqualify school from competition. 106 KHQ reserves the right to select an alternate school (2nd place winner) in their division to participate at the show, but 106 KHQ is not required to do so.
D.) Requirements for winning choirs at the Great Lakes Center for the Arts performance:
E.) All finalists in both divisions must submit their sheet music to 106 KHQ one week prior to their performance to be involved in the competition. This music will then be forwarded to The Great Lakes Chamber Orchestra for accompaniment purposes, if necessary.
F.) Choir members singing are limited to 50 people for safety reasons. Each school is responsible for selecting the 50 students.
G.) Choirs should arrive 1/2 hour prior to the show and will be taken to a special staging area until their time to perform.
H.) School Choir directors must meet with the Great Lakes Chamber Orchestra for a walk-through at the Great Lakes Center for the Arts prior to the performance date.
I.) The Choirs are not permitted to bring in any outside food or beverages.
J.) Choirs are expected to dress in Sunday best, uniform, or in black pants/skirts and white shirts.
K.) Schools must provide adult chaperones.
11. 106 KHQ is not responsible for inability to enter or vote on the station’s website due to technical difficulties. Prize will not be awarded to any individual(s) but will be awarded to the legal school district or organization operating the winning school. Prize cannot be transferred or substituted.
12. 106 KHQ is not responsible if Contest cannot take place or if Prize cannot be awarded due to delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
13. 106 KHQ reserves the right to terminate the contest or permanently disqualify any person believed to have intentionally violated these official rules. Any attempt to deliberately damage the contest or the operation thereof is unlawful and subject to legal action by WKHQ, who may seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law. 106 KHQ reserves the right to cancel, suspend or modify the contest or any element thereof (including, without limitation, these official rules) without notice in any manner and for any reason (including, without limitation, in the event of any unanticipated occurrence that is not fully addressed in these Official Rules)
14. In the event of cancellation, modification or suspension, 106 KHQ reserves the right to select a finalist and/or grand prize winner, as applicable, and award all remaining prizes at our sole discretion from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the time of the event warranting such cancellation, modification or suspension based on the judging criteria described above.
15. Contest is open to all Kindergarten through 12th grade public or private schools accredited by the State of Michigan in the 106 KHQ coverage area, as defined by the WKHQ coverage map available online at radio-locator.com or MacDonaldGarberBroadcasting.com
16. Schools that are attended by or that employ the immediate families of the owners and principals of SPONSORS are ineligible to win. This rulealso applies to 106 KHQ and SPONSOR employees and their immediate families. Immediate family will include spouse, children, grandchildren, brother, sister. Schools meeting these criteria would be ineligible to participate in the 106 KHQ Holiday Choir Competition for eligibility reasons
17. Chances of winning will be determined by the number of entries received and votes received and are not possible to calculate at this time.
18. 106 KHQ retains sole and exclusive possession and retains all rights to use any performance entry, or any part there of, indefinitely in any promotions including but not limited to on-air usage. The aforementioned stipulations apply to all winning and non-winning entries. By entering the contest, entrants grant 106 KHQ the non-exclusive, royalty free and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, copy, publish, display, distribute, perform, translate, adapt, modify, edit (including for length) the entry and incorporate it in other works in any and all markets, media now hereafter known worldwide in perpetuity without additional compensation, notification, permission or approval.
19. 106 KHQ and participating sponsors are not responsible for costs associated with submitting any entry or any costs or taxes arising out of participating in the contest or failure to adhere to official contest rules.
20. 106 KHQ and participating sponsors are not responsible for any injury incurred during the performance of any entry; nor are they responsible for failure of any individual or organization’s failure to submit entries in the required manner.